Being healthy and feeling good is about more than the amount of weight you lift during an exercise class or the number of squats you complete in one minute. Wellness starts on the inside. It starts by understanding your relationships to family, relationships, career, finances, spirituality, nutrition, health and finding your passion.
Here are 6 tips to help you find your passion and start living your life with purpose.
1. List what you love and connect the dots. Identifying the things you absolutely love to do in life is the single best thing you can do to find your passion and purpose. Once you have your list, take a step back and see how all these brilliant pieces might connect to the work you are meant to do in the world.
2. Identify what you do with ease. Often times our passion and purpose are staring us right in the face, but it’s so natural to us, we don’t think anything about it. What you do in your everyday life with ease is likely in some way connected to what you are meant to do in this life. By identifying what comes naturally to you, you have the ability to build on those strengths and help others in ways you never thought possible.
3. Look at your past. Many times, the very struggles we’ve managed to move through in our lives become part of the tapestry that is our purpose. By looking at your past and the circumstances you’ve successfully moved through, you have a perspective that many people in the world do not. What part of your life story do you feel passionate about? That’s usually a clue as to what your bigger purpose might be.
4. Play like a child. As adults we tend to forget about the joy and freedom we felt as a child. When you were younger you likely had a wild imagination and were open to any and all possibilities about what you could be. You simply allowed your imagination and heart to guide you. It’s time to spark up your creativity and get dreamy again by tapping into your inner child. Get out of your head for a bit and into your heart and go have some good old-fashioned fun. For that is usually where you will find your major ‘aha’ moments that will lead you to amazing ideas and ultimately your purpose.
5. Do what makes you happy…all of it. Finding your passion is directly related to doing the things that light you up and set your soul on fire. If it makes you happy to sing, write, and build things then go do it! Who says your life purpose has to be just one thing? Human beings by nature have multiple interests and to feel like you have to choose one thing goes against the very freedom you likely desire. You are meant to experience life and all that it has to offer, so don’t limit yourself to just one thing. Try lots of things and do what makes you happy. Therein lies the path to your true purpose.
6. Ask others to help. If you are still feeling stuck in finding your passion and purpose in life, it might be time to ask others for help. As your own worst critic, it can be difficult for you to see where you truly shine because you are simply too close to connect the dots on your own.
Passion and purpose go hand-in-hand, so when you are struggling to find your purpose get back to what brings you joy and in no time, you will be making a difference while also living a life you love.